Wednesday 23 March 2011

All Correct - OK



Welsh band OK, are an indie outfit who's newest song Lego has been described as, " a blast of harmonic sunshine upon a grey music scene". The band have had a series of line up changes since their debut album in 2009. Ahead of the release of their new album they have released Lego as the first song off the album.


OK, have created a gimmicky video to go alongside their new song, Lego, which features puppets playing their instruments and generally rocking out.




Joe Paine the lead singer from the band answered some of my questions, with a particularly interesting analysis of The Thunderbirds, enjoy!


OK, tell me who OK are?


OK are a pop band from Cardiff who like to play music that makes you feel good.


Story behind the single?


I came up with the 'fit together like Lego' thing years ago. I got the tune sang it into a tape recorder so I wouldn't forget it. Then, low and behold years later I dug it up and thought this could make a good little song.


Single out this week how are you feeling ?


It's a weird process making a single. What with practising, recording, playing the track live and hearing it over and over during the making of the video. It kind of gets to the point where you can't really hear it anymore. But, I still catch myself singing the tune to myself sometimes, so I guess it's a good sign.




You seem to have a fondness for Lego, but what were your favourite childhood toys?

Depends what age you're talking. I was MASSIVELY into Turtles. Going further back it was all about Postman Pat and Thomas the Tank!


Indie is a pretty popular genre, how do you think OK stand out ?


We see so many bands that seem miserable or pretentious. Whilst this can sometimes be really cool I think we all share the same feeling that we don't want to be like that. It's great to sing about miserable things, just have fun doing it.


What's the best thing about being musicians ?


The chicks and the dollars... ha ha, no, it's cheesy as fuck but being able to travel around with your best mates having a laugh whilst doing something that you really enjoy is the best.


You have used puppets in your video, which do you prefer Muppets or Thunderbirds?


I was never really into the Muppets, I found it hard to tell the different between them and Sesame Street. I was a BIG fan of the Thunderbirds though. I remember getting to the age where you think back to the Thunderbirds and realise how utterly in-practical it was (slides into the cockpits, taking off through a swimming pool, always having the fly from the same place wherever the disaster is). Seemed like perfect sense at the time.










No comments: