Saturday 19 November 2011

My Hectic Life.

Last weekend I experienced a little get together at Leeds University with bands and music and film fans people are calling Constellations. This is this the Second Constellations and apparently the quieter one.
I started my day rushing to the Beeb to pick up my flashmic and start my day, half way up to the University I get a call from the organisers saying that I had two interviews arranged for me Vessels and Hookworms. Reluctant to say that I hadn't heard either of the two's music much less heard of the Vessels. All I knew about Hookworms is that my editor and writer for Leeds Guide love them and mention them on twitter all the time. Slight apprehensive about the interviews I sit down with Vessels, the interview goes smoothly I know they are from Leeds in some form and they create music but little else. Interview is fairly standard and stretching out my arm to each member is tiresome but they're used to it. Speaking about "lots of equipment" et al I was intrigued. After the interview was over we chatted really darn microphone often a barrier. After a while a man came over with glasses and his nose in his iphone and shows me a video of him and his friend trying to make his dog go down the slide it jumps off. It's one of those You've Been Framed type videos, should I laugh at the kid smacking his face of the side of the car and falling on the cat or should I call child protection. Chosing not to call the RSPCA I'm then told that this is Matt from Hookworms....


After stumbling about to see one band and meeting up with photographer Tom I return back to meet Hookworms. They've pre-warned me that they will be awkward in the interview so I'm prepared for monosyllabic answers and a very quick interview. How wrong I was. Answer flew at warp speed swearing, dead cats, Warhammer, stabbings and a very hard challenge to 'keep professional'. Unfortunately I was unable to hear the performance as it was right at the beginning of the day but the interview was a huge highlight.


(if you stumble across these ramblings have a listen they are great!)

Next highlight was going to see Vessels, standing in a village hall looking room (the same description I used for my review, need thesaurus). Expecting nothing I had purposely come to this event with no preconceptions about the bands, the band told me that was a brave move. They soon slapped me in the face with their post-rock, dance, percussion full music. Difficult to explain but amazing to experience.


New Favourite band



Well onto the next chapter Friendly Fires...


You can listen to the interviews here .....http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00lgpjv

No comments: