Sunday 29 March 2009

mic testing testing 1, 2 1,2 mic testing

If there is one thing that most people that I have spoken to about my research project have in common is that they beleive one of the best ways to suceed and win support is to play a live show.
And whilst travelling back from Leeds in the car today that really did strike home. There are very few things that I can think about and automatically feel like I am there. But when it comes to live music I can. I can remember the atmosphere, the songs, the bands expressions what I was wearing and how I was feeling and what was going on around me. I assume these are my flashbulb memories.
I was remembering my first show, party in the park 1999. I had always loved music, people used to mock my music knowledge, I suppose it was a bit strange for a ten year old to know all the songs in the chart and the lyrics as well! So when my dad told me about party in the park I was over the moon. Even more so when your dad tells you that not only will you be watching live music but you might get to meet the bands AND celebrities as well because we would be seated in the V.I.P section. A ten year olds name dropping dream. I also remember wearing my little matching baige outfit. baige skirt, top and brown and cream fleecey gillet. O DEAR!
Until then the only other open air concert I went to was Greenday in 04. My first proper concert minus parents plus the extra "rock and rollness" of skipping school AND the school language teacher was driving us there. We were under the impression that Blink 182 and Foo Fighters would also be playing and ended up listening to "Take off your Pants and Jacket" on repeat all the way too Cardiff Cooper Castle. They were accompanied by Spunge, Iggy Pop, Hundred Reasons and A. I have seen Greenday twice and still feel that they are by far one of the best live acts. I remember standing next to people smelling poppers and at the time thinking I was going to smell them, pass out and die.
Aside from the music one thing I will take away from that day was the teacher turning round to us in the car before we got out and saying "Now girls if you have to take any drugs, smoke pot"!
As I write this more and more music memories come to my head I remember the gigs I was dragged to and purposely not trying to have a good time. Going to see Rooster in year 11 was one of these. I bought my ticket at Lunch time our newest thing at the time was to get tickets and go to the gigs from school. So despite being largely against rooster I went along. I dressed on purpose in a good charlotte designed t-shirt with a scowl on my face so people knew I was not into this kind of music. The last straw was definately when my mouth was open singing and the lead singer shook his sweaty mane and his sweat went in my mouth. A fans dream, but a fan I wasn't.
I could probably write a book on how many gigs I have seen and how I felt but feel that only my friends or a psychologist would read or even begin to enjoy it.
My next concert is OASIS. I wonder if in a years time I'll be writing about this !

No comments: